UKHospitality has written to the UK chancellor of the exchequer warning that additional financial support is “absolutely vital” to allow hospitality businesses to survive a bleak winter, and help power economic growth next year.
The hospitality sector is about to lose the majority of its Christmas ‘golden quarter’, ahead of the worst quarter for sales from January through March.
A new survey of hospitality businesses shows that, by February, and without government support, around 600,000 jobs will be lost.
The letter calls for:
- a successor scheme to Job Retention Bonus
- extension of the business rates holiday for a further year
- continued VAT cut for the whole of 2021
- a workable solution on the rent debt
- the VAT Retail Export Scheme to continue.