The Seasonal Businesses in Travel lobby group was established in August 2017, to represent tour operators who employ the c.25,000 UK staff working in EU destinations and resorts.
Now the group, which has grown from the original 9 members to 200 today, has released a report called ‘A Crisis Looming’, outlining the likely impact of a no-deal Brexit. Findings include:
- a current 7% reduction in the number of UK workers posted overseas;
- a likely 31% increase in holiday prices post-Brexit compared with before the referendum;
- a likely rise of 158% to run the Posted Seasonal Workers scheme and holiday operating costs if there is a hard Brexit;
- 75% of the 53 million outbound leisure and business trips from the UK are to the EU;
- the sector contributes £2.4 billion to the UK economy.