According to UKHospitality in a letter to MP Michael Gove, an extended period of social distancing as hinted at by the UK Government could cost one million jobs in the hospitality sector, without emergency measures being taken to protect businesses.
The trade body recommended a six-point plan to help hospitality businesses reopen following the crisis, including:
- extending the furlough scheme for hospitality
- intervention on rent payments
- better access to funding
- A fiscal package to stimulate demand after lockdown
- an overhaul of business regulation
- a responsive insurance market
as well as phasing the opening, rather than all businesses competing for trade.