Warnings have been issued to UK motorists planning to drive overseas after 29 March in case of a no-deal Brexit.

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, drivers would need proof of insurance, known as a Green Card, and applications can take a month or more. EU regulations will apply to those driving across the border from Northern Ireland into the Irish Republic as well as the wider continent.

European insurance authorities agreed in May last year to waive the need for Green Cards, but this has not been confirmed by the European Commission. Drivers may also need to get an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive abroad and from 1 February, the government will begin providing IDPs at 2,500 Post Offices across the UK.

Read more:

Tagged with →