The UK Labour Party has released its manifesto for the December 12th election, including giving councils new powers to regulate short-term lets through companies such as Airbnb.
Other pledges made by Jeremy Corbyn which will affect the hospitality industry include:
- A new £1 billion Cultural Capital Fund for libraries, museums and galleries
- Maintaining free entry to museums
- Launching a Town of Culture competition in addition to the City of Culture
- Banning zero-hour contracts and requiring cancelled shifts to be paid
- Introducing four new bank holidays for the four patron saints
- Changes to the immigration policy protecting the rights of EU citizens here and UK citizens abroad
- Helping small businesses benefit from the Apprenticeship Levy by increasing the amount that can be transferred to non-levy-paying employers to 50% and introducing an online matching service
- Ending new sales of combustion engine cars by 2030
- Increased aviation capacity would have to pass their tests on air quality, noise pollution, climate change obligations and countrywide benefits.
- Creating new National Parks alongside a revised system of other protected area designations
- Review border controls to make them more effective
- Review Business Rates including the option of a land value tax on commercial landlords as an alternative
- Listing pubs as Assets of Community Value so community groups have the first chance to buy local pubs when they are under threat
- Introducing a new national levy on second homes used as holiday homes