According to the UNTWO, 1.4 bn tourists travelled worldwide in 2018, up 6% from 2017.
This article in Breaking Travel News considers the most popular destinations, and some trends, including:
- Europe is the most-visited region
- France is the most popular country, followed by Spain, the USA, China, and Italy.
- China has the most outbound travellers, followed by Germany, the US and the UK.
- The Finns take the most inbound and outbound trips each year.
- London is the most popular destination within the UK, followed by Edinburgh.
- VisitBritain believes the tourism industry will be paying off almost 10% GDP of Britain by the end of 2025, and will employ more than one in ten workers in Europe.
- Overtourism must be tackled for destinations to remain viable.
- Brexit has not yet affected incoming tourism but may well have an effect in a no-deal scenario.