Airbnb has announced that it has hosted more 500 million guests through the platform since it launched in 2008, which would estimate it hosted 100 million in just the last eight months since it reported 400 million. The platform now lists more than 6 million properties in 191 countries and 81,000 cities worldwide, and is believed to be considering an IPO this year or next.
This article questions some of the statistics below which were announced this week, and raises queries about its ongoing plans:
- three Airbnb guests check into an Airbnb listing every half second;
- More than 75 cities globally have each hosted more than 1 million Airbnb guests, and more than 900 have at least 1,000 Airbnb listings;
- Airbnb hosts have collectively earned $65 billion since the company launched;
- Female hosts, who make up 56% of the total, earned nearly $20 billion in 2017 and 2018;
- The fastest-growing demographic in the US are over 60;
- Figures released in January showed it was profitable in 2018 for the second year.