The European Commission has published the results of two Eurobarometer surveys on the use of online platforms by consumers and SMEs, including online marketplaces, search engines, payment systems, social media, and video and content-sharing sites.
Key findings include:
- Nearly 9/10 web users use search engines, and 6/10 share files via social networks, at least once a week.
- 71% usually find what they are looking for when using web search engines.
- 53% can clearly distinguish between sponsored and non-sponsored results.
- Almost to 6/10 expect online platforms to present search results tailored to their interests, many agreeing that this order affects how they purchase.
- At least 6/10 companies using online marketplaces use customers’ online behaviour for the development of products or services.
- 2/3 of the companies that sell online agree that their position in search results has a significant impact on their sales and use SEO.
- 51% say their company’s reviews online have a significant impact on their sales.